Ways to help fatten the child
The increase in the number of meals that the child eats during the day helps to increase the weight of the child, so that there are small meals between the main meals, and this is through the following:
- Replace a bottle of milk in the morning, with yogurt and a few crackers.
- Diversity in the child’s food according to his age, during the first four or six months , the child’s only source of calories and nutrients that he gets from breast milk or formula milk, but after four to six months, they start adding solids to their meals, In the form of rice or oatmeal.
- Adding new food to the child’s meals every week, after he gets used to his food.
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables when the child is 10 months old, and yogurt and cheese can be offered at this age. Solids first, then formula or breast milk.
Foods that make a child gain weight
calories to gain weight
Children at the age of 2-3 years need about 1000 calories per day, and children between the ages of 4-8 years need 1200-1400 calories per day, as the child must eat an additional 3,500 calories, to obtain 0.45 kg, and be By adding an additional 500 calories to the child’s caloric needs per day, this will help him gain about 0.45 kilograms of his weight per week, which is suitable for underweight children.
Increase dietary fat in food
Increasing fat in a child’s diet is a quick and easy way to increase calories, because fat contains the largest percentage of calories than any other food, as one tablespoon of olive oil, canola oil, organic ghee, and mayonnaise can be added to foods during preparation . , it gives 45-120 calories, in addition, fatty sauces or cheese can be added to rice, pasta or vegetables, to get the extra calories, and it is also better to replace non-fat or low-fat ingredients with similar full-fat ingredients, for example When making oatmeal, whole milk is used, rather than water.
Increase carbohydrates in food
A child can be helped to eat more carbohydrates and calories by providing light foods rich in carbohydrates, such as: raisins, dried fruits, and granola, as half a cup of these foods contains approximately 240 calories, and can be added to soup, and yogurt Carbohydrates can also be increased by adding honey to fresh fruits, such as apples, or cooked cereals, such as oatmeal.
Increase calories in drinks
A child can be helped to gain weight by increasing the calories he gets from drinks, such as: fruit juices that contain 100% of calories, and whole milk, and it is also preferable to choose drinks that contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, and drinks. Dairy-based, which also contains 8 grams of protein, in addition to that, vanilla or chocolate flavors, which are intended for children, can be purchased at the grocery store or drugstore.
Encourage the child to eat
The child can be encouraged to eat by observing the following things:
- Keep calm when the child eats , and drops his food on the floor. Eating should be made a positive experience for him, and therefore this will help him develop a good eating habit.
- Provide useful foods for the child, and it is not important how much he eats in one meal, as he will eat enough to meet his needs throughout the week.
- Maintain regular meals, taking into account the child’s daytime nap, provide three main meals, two or three small meals of useful food for the child, and give him a drink with his main meals and snacks, and on the other hand, water may be ideal, but milk or juice Diluted fruit (10 spoons of water with 1 spoon of juice) is also good, and a good snack for a child is fruit, tomatoes, yogurt with berries or sliced fruit, a small sandwich, a slice of bread with an egg, milk, and a pancake with a glass of milk.